Pages

.

Chicken & Chips

With a protein shake in my belly, I took Melbourne by storm and shopped until I almost literally dropped. The goal was to find summer clothes for work, but everything I like tends to be on the tailored-therefore-warm side. Nonetheless, I did find a couple of sheer, breezy tops that will work for school, as well as a couple of very exciting purchases - a high-waisted work skirt (I could never wear high waists before since my muffin-top was too prominent, but now it tucks away seamlessly!) and my first ever Little Black Dress - satin, slim-fitting, short, and skimpy! The beau approves! Now I just need a cocktail event to wear it to...

After such a big day, I skipped the bother of cooking and picked up a roast chook, and served it with a brand new treat - kale chips!


Kale chips have done the rounds of the low-carb & paleo communities a few times, but I never jumped on board because a) I didn't have access to kale, and b) they sounded totally foul. Well, a) kale showed up in this week's veggie box, and b) I was totally wrong!

I was reminded of the recipe via Simply Sugar & Gluten Free, and followed their basic recipe. Here's exactly what I did, in case your oven is more like mine and less like Amy's -

Recipe - Kale Chips

Ingredients:

Kale
Olive oil
Salt

Method:

Heat oven to 180° Celsius. Line a tray with foil.

Wash and dry kale in a salad spinner, then tear into chip-sized pieces. Place in a bowl, and drizzle with olive oil. Toss to coat.

Place kale on the tray in a single layer.

Bake for 10 minutes, watching for browning. If chips shatter slightly when firmly prodded, they're ready. Leave them in for 5 minute increments if they're still floppy.

Sprinkle with salt, and serve hot or cold. You could let them rest on some paper towel if they're too oily for your preference. Yum!!


I love how the sunlight has filtered through the fragile, transparent chips to leave green shadows...

Finally, I've been hearing a lot of doom and gloom about genetically modified/engineered soy and other products making their way into the global market, with the first (we assume) GM soy being used in Aussie products recently/soon. When I bring this up with people, sometimes I receive blank stares, or questions wondering why it matters. Yipe. So when I found this Civil Eats article today, neatly dealing with the whats and whys of GM food, I thought I should share it here in case you haven't found a reliable resource of your own. This is also one to pass on to friends who consume mindlessly.

Enjoy your safe, healthy & tasty food choices!

No comments:

Post a Comment